SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Chief of Staff is to manage the hospital and ensure the highest quality of veterinary care, exceptional client service, associate engagement and maximum productivity of the veterinary medical team.
This position advocates for pets and their quality of life; builds a long term bonding relationship with clients; contributes to the development and maintenance of the human-pet bond; educates clients and hospital associates on all aspects of pet health.
The Chief of Staffpartners with the Practice Manager (if applicable) to operate an effective and productive veterinary medical team, ensure a safe and engaging hospital environment, and improve both the medical quality and business performance of the hospital.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
The ratio of time spent on leadership duties and practicing veterinarian responsibilities will vary depending on the hospital situation; the Chief of Staff must use good judgment in prioritizing their duties on any given day, ensuring hospital productivity. On average, the ratio is expected to be about 20%-30% leadership duties and 70%-80% veterinarian duties.
Leadership Responsibilities (approximately 20-30% of time):
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Partner with the Practice Manager (if applicable) to manage the hospital as role models and champions of the Banfield brand to provide consistent high quality care and exceptional service to the most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and profitability. Train the team on Banfield guidelines and practices and supervise associates to ensure compliance.
- Oversee and train associates on professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example), to include client education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Follow all Banfield protocols and practices and be responsible for ensuring that associates achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Identify potential “bottlenecks” and formulate solutions to remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors from providing world class care.
- Partner with the Medical Director, Field Director, and Practice Manager (if applicable) to interview, select, train, develop, coach, mentor and, if necessary, discipline and terminate hospital associates.
- Direct, lead and mentor Associate Veterinarians to realize their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high quality medical care, client service and business results.
- Work with the Medical Director to establish development plans (PDPs) for the Associate Veterinarians, and focus teams to deliver the practice priorities and exceed goals while building our culture and brand.
- Effectively create and maintain veterinarians’ schedules and work with Practice Manager to scheduleassociates to meet client needs according to Banfield guidelines, while proactively planning time off and CE scheduling.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Act as communications liaison, including holding routine hospital team meetings, sharing business information and messaging to all hospital associates, ensuring they remain informed, engaged and have opportunities to provide feedback.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team by creating a positive professional relationship with the Practice Manager, PetSmart associates, adoption center agencies, clients, field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Create a collaborative environment and develop an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients.
- Develop annual planning, budgeting and hospital productivity levels for the hospital in partnership with the Practice Manager (if applicable), Field Director and Medical Director.
- Partner with area Field Director and Medical Director to execute market objectives, goals, strategies and measurements (OGSMs).
- Participate in market level teams, discussions, and initiatives.
- Partner with the Practice Manager to deliver outstanding financial results for assigned hospital.
- Responsible for the development of technical, medical skills for veterinary assistants/technicians.
- Responsible for ensuring all associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
- Provide leadership to other area hospitals as needed throughout the market.
- Ensure compliance with all practice policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws. Other job duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degreerequired.
- Veterinary license in good standing or eligibility for licensure with the applicable state veterinary board.
- Two years clinical experiencerequired.
- 1-3 years coaching and developing associate doctors required.
- Meets all required clinical competencies.
Job ID DAL00068