This position is responsible for leading the process development of major initiatives (such as network optimization or M&A initiatives) and commercialization of new technology applications. The individual will also act as the technical lead for one of the major business platforms (Snacks), will be the R&D Processing core team member on the R&D "Margin by Design" team, and will also be instrumental in developing the 3-yr processing technology pipeline.
- Build & maintain an understanding of the process technology needs & capabilities across the company, especially in designated platform.
- Partner internally and externally (Universities, suppliers, competitive scouting) to identify and champion technologies that can be adapted for our needs.
- Act as the lead process development resource for major business initiatives that may span multiple or new business opportunities.
- Champions the appropriate use of MOPD/VSU tools across work.
- Serve as a technical mentor for junior engineers in the group.
- May have responsibility for direct management of technicians, interns, or other junior engineers as appropriate.
- Ensure all processing specifications developed by engineers in designated platform are accurate, complete, and effective in ensuring the factory makes quality product at target costs.
- BS in Chemical, Food, Biochemical, or Mechanical Engineering required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with proven leadership in food process technology or related areas of work.
- Extensive knowledge of food science & food processing.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated documentation discipline.
- Proven troubleshooting skills with demonstrated ability to execute root cause analysis and follow through with corrective actions.
- Thorough understanding of food safety, sanitary design, & equipment cleaning.
- Solid understanding of sensory testing methodologies and translating consumer insights into technical solutions.
- Understanding of food/package interaction.
- Knowledge of product development process.
- Basic financial understanding, to enable profitability optimization and project budgeting skills
- Strong interpersonal communication and presentation skills along with the self-confidence to drive the technical organization to new levels of accomplishment and performance.
- Creative and result oriented personality.
- Self-starter, but also a team player with proven problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of capital engineering practices a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time. Must be able to travel independently and as a responsible company representative.
Physical Requirements (optional)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. occasionally; lift up to 25 lbs. regularly.
- Work extensively in pilot plant and or production plant floor environment.
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended work days to include: loud noise, heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Walking and/or standing for long periods of time.
- Climbing to various heights via stairs or ladders.
- Bending and/or crawling; must be able to move safely and freely around machinery.
- Driving a company or rental vehicle as needed.