Senior Risk Analyst
5 - 7 years experience •
Santander’s Commercial Banking Division is an active provider of capital, treasury management and risk management solutions to thousands of small and mid-sized companies in the northeast and across the country. We also have expertise and provide service to specific industry sectors including real estate, asset based lending, energy, education, health care and government.
Our clients rely on the strength of Santander’s balance sheet and the degree to which our relationship managers understand their businesses in order to develop the most relevant and compelling solutions. In addition, Santander’s significant international presence in regions around the world uniquely positions us to help companies grow their business, both near and far.
Risk is present in all of Santander’s activities and effective Risk Management is a critical component of the Bank’s success. Through application of the Bank’s Risk Framework and the continuous identification and assessment of risk, Santander seeks to ensure that all of our businesses operate inside of clearly established limits, are able to proactively quantify exposures, and take corrective action when required.
As a member of the Risk Management division, you’ll be part of a diverse team of talented professionals who interact with senior risk team personnel, business managers and other Bank disciplines in order to understand business operations and dynamics, and analyze, monitor, and manage related risks.
Responsible for various activities relating to risk management performance. Works to identify, assess and action various risks throughout the assigned business line by executing defined risk programs.
Executes, reviews, or evaluates controls via a quality program and participates in initiatives and recommends opportunities for improved efficiency, effectiveness and/or risk reduction. Evaluations will require collaboration with various stakeholders while influencing parties toward strategic goals. Reports (MIS and engagements) and escalates as necessary to risk management team (including 2nd line of defense) and drives cultural awareness/ education of risk management practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement key performance metrics across business. Prepare executive level reporting of risk metrics
- Escalate negative trends observed; provide insight to causes of risk indicators out of tolerance levels and develop recommendations to mitigate identified risks
- Manage complex process evaluations across single line of business with a scope of multiple risk domains. Ability to identify riskevent root causes and influence corrections to reduce risk
- Must be able to aggregate risks into holistic business line portfolio for further aggregation into a division view
- Role will require the ability to challenge/ ensure completeness of work within Risk teams, as well as represented business line. This will entail coaching and motivation of others to reach goals
- Individual will have a defined authority level to negotiate with business to alter processes or quality execution designs
- Track agreed actions and course correct with business as needed (granted authority)
- Consult with management regarding risks, exposures or control profiles and maintain contact with 2nd LOD peers to help define communications of risk culture/ tolerances
- Metrics Management: Participate with senior riskassociates and business stakeholders in identification of risk indicators/controls. Work with business contacts to define data /metrics used to measure risk
- Risk Program Execution: Collaborate with various stakeholders to drive risk program forward/ over hurdles by facilitating changes where appropriate, within a managed authority
- Quality Assurance and Completeness: Review identified risks and negotiate actions with business lines. Implement quality controls/processes and determine resolution steps for quality issue, with escalation and reporting as required
- Risk Management Culture: Ensure that the appropriate internal risk training is being provided to the businesses line and influence the correction of design deficiencies
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five years bankingexperience, experience in general risk functions, or demonstrate the ability to perform at proficient level of competence to meet duties
- Demonstrated leadership and coaching skills
- Effective communication skills to assist in communication of objectives and strategic direction
- In-depth research and analysis skills for more complex and critical data, interpret and communicate industry trends
- Negotiation and collaboration skills to help influence and motivate others